Just picked up fresh inventory of pork products and added the Cajun sausage to the variety of items you can pick from!
I love this blend of sausage. We needed a super quick dinner (I have to have quick options sometimes). SO...Cajun sausage, beans, diced tomatoes...simmer. Done. Serve over noodles, rice or eat it outa the pan because the power went out and your running all over the farm starting generators....But that's just us!!
Cajun is a peppery blend and goes well with veges, my favorite being cabbage for instance...stir fried up with some Cajun sausage. Another quick reliable meal.
I also like rolling out meatballs and adding to soups for the protein and savory flavor, yum!
What's for Dinner on the Farm?
1 pound chorizo (cooked and crumbled)
beans (pinto, kidney or black)
1-2 cups cheddar cheese
1 cup of Monterey jack
your favorite nacho chips
lettuce and sour cream to garnish
This is quick night favorite. I used a regular baking sheet and just layer on whatever I have on hand and I almost always have the above ingredients!
Start with chips on the bottom then start layering the ingredients. Then more chips and more ingredients. Be sure to end with lots of cheese on top! Bake on 400 until melted.
1 pound maple sausage, cooked
2 2lb acorn squash
1 cup cooked rice
1/2 cup cranberries
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
10 oz chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350.
Cut ends of the squash ends off and then cut two rings about 2in each. Clean out the seeds etc. Place on baking sheet and roast in oven...until just soft but not mush. While the squash is in, cook your rice and maple sausage.
Combine sausage, rice, cranberries, cinnamon, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup of chicken broth.
Transfer squash rings to a casserole dish. Spoon mixture into rings and pour remaining chicken broth in casserole dish. Bake for about 15 minutes to finish the squash and allow the casserole to absorb the liquids a bit. You may need to cover it if you need more that 15 minutes.
Potato Soup with Mild Italian Sausage and Kale
1lb Mild Italian Sausage
Fresh rosemary and thyme (to your liking)
1 med onion or shallots
3 cloves garlic
4 or 5 large potatoes, diced
7 cups stock (chicken or beef)
1 cup cream
1/2 cup sour cream
handful of kale or spinach or hardy greens
Grated cheese (optional)
Crumbled bacon (optional)
Brown sausage. Add herbs, onion and garlic and cook a few minutes.
Add stock and potatoes. Cook until potatoes are tender.
Stir in the cream and sour cream. Simmer 5 minutes and then add kale/spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer a few more minutes.
Garnish with cheese and/or bacon and serve.
Plain Ground Pork...we have it in stock. I didn't really cook with plain ground pork unless I was making homemade wonton soup, I used ground pork and cabbage to fill my wontons. Seemed liked a good time to branch out and try some new things.
Herb Breakfast Sausage (Farmer Rich approved...this is a big deal!)
1 1/2 T. sea salt or real salt
1 T. dried thyme
1 T. dried sage
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 t. dried parsley
1 t. paprika (I used sweet)
1 t. red pepper flakes
Mix well and then add 2 T. to 1pound plain ground pork. Any mix left over can be stored in a small jar.
*T = tablespoon
*t = teaspoon
Taking a break
Thank you for your interest in our farm. We are currently taking a break from retail sales in order to do some restructuring around the farm and gain some much needed rest. We encourage you to take a look at Fall Line Farms & Local Roots - https://flflr.luluslocalfood.com/ - there are numerous farms that practice the same production methods we do and sell through a system very similar to ours. They even share several of the drop sites we use. Blessings to you, The Hamiltons
** Updated 10/15/17 ** We have added a new method of accepting payments, Stripe. When you go to check out there is now a button that says "Pay with card". The PayPal interface has been added back to the cart as well, so you can use either selection that works best for you.
Features about the Shopping Cart
Some details you may need to know about the cart:
1. Membership is free! It's a feature of the software that we can't change. It is useful if I should need to call you about your order.
2. You have to join to shop.
3. You have to choose a pick up location in order to shop.
4. You can change your pick up location anytime you like.
5. Pick up locations have open and closed periods of time of shopping. Each location is open to shop for one week. Shopping ends 8pm the night before you pick up your order. Example: Good Health Herbs pickup is Friday at 12:30pm. You can shop until 8pm Thursday the day before. Then the buying page will close and not allow anything in the cart. The buying page will re-open at 12am Friday so that shopping may occur for the next week until Thursday.
6. You can pay with pay pal, debit or credit cards. It appears to be all paypal; however, when checking out there is an option to use your debit/credit card instead.
7. Be sure to use the "view details" or "more sizes available" button under the products to see what we have in stock.
8. We have included the farm as a drop site. Place your order and then give us a call/email and let us know when you are coming. Disregard the pick up day and time shown (farm pick up only). It's a required field I have to use. We will have your order ready for pick up on the farm whenever you call and ask us to.
We have a wide variety of meats to meet all your summer shopping needs. We currently have beef, chicken & pork in stock. Everything from burgers and steak to roasting chickens to sausage & chops! Click the "Shop" item in the menu for a complete listing. And then choose one of our 15 area dropsites to have it delivered near you.